At the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME), we strive for a best-in-class culture of safety at our facilities. The PME Researchers Safety Committee works to address safety concerns at every level and includes representation from PME research groups, staff, postdoctoral researchers, graduate students, and undergraduates.
PME Researchers Safety Committee
A list of the PME Researchers Safety Committee members and their lab affiliations is available to the UChicago community by accessing this link.
For emergencies, dial 123 from any campus phone or 773.702.8181 from any other phone.
- The Office of Safety and Security manages emergencies for the campus and maintains procedures for evacuation, shelter-in-place, and lockdown
- The UChicago Mobile Safety App allows users to directly call UCPD and CPD with the tap of an icon; send the user's location to UCPD with mobile blue light; access safety resources; and report a crime or speak to a dispatcher.
- cAlert is the University's electronic mass notification system. Users can adjust settings to receive alerts via text, phone calls, pagers, etc.
|General Laboratory and Chemical Safety||Individual Training|
|Onboarding New Researchers|
|Close Out Checklist for Researchers Prior to Departure|
|Lab Self Review Questionnaire|
|Creating, Updating, and Printing Lab Placards|
|Biological Safety||Individual Training|
|Animal Work||Individual Training|
|Laser Safety||Individual Training|
|Office Safety||Individual Training|
High standards in laboratory safety are essential to conducting world-class research, and PME is committed to ensuring the safety and security in our laboratories. In partnership with the University of Chicago Physical Sciences Division, campus-wide offices, and our facilities, we work to ensure that all research conducted at PME is done safely and in accordance to institutional and federal guidelines. To that end, the following University partners provide safety resources for PME lab researchers:
- The Office of Research Safety handles all chemical, biological, radiological, and laser safety training on campus, offering expertise and services in safety matters, including the handling, storing, and disposing of materials.
- Office of Environmental Health and Safety handles fire and life safety, disability self-identifications in case of emergency, and many more programs.
- Joint Research Safety Initiative (JRSI) is a safety community run by students, postdocs, and research assistants with the goal of providing centralized and accessible safety and educational resources for students and faculty.
- SafeLAB Newsletter is a quarterly communication that provides information such as upcoming events, announcements, and policy changes.
In the laboratories of the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME), safety posters can help remind users of potential hazards and proper procedures or highlight important safety protocols. To request or submit a poster, contact PME Lab Safety Specialist JRSI.
To download a safety presentation, see JSRI’s Safety Moments.
Reach out to your lab’s safety contact or the Office of Research Safety.