We consider all applicants for the full-time PhD program who meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree (usually with a major in a STEM field)
- Fulfill the English-language requirements of the University of Chicago (required for non-native English speakers only)
- Note: Pritzker Molecular Engineering will not be accepting GRE scores in any form for admission during the 2022-2023 academic year application cycle
To apply, submit an application online. You must include:
- A personal statement of research interests
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcript(s) from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- TOEFL test results that meet the requirements of the University of Chicago (required for non-native English speakers only)
- A $90 nonrefundable application fee
Use the University of Chicago's institution code (1832) to send TOEFL scores. A separate department code is not required.
Explore UChicagoGRAD for more information about the application process, including answers to frequently asked questions and details about campus life.
We begin accepting applications in September for enrollment in the PhD program that starts the following fall. The application deadline is December 15, 2021.
When you start your online application, choose the regular application for the year you plan to enroll. For example, select “2022 Regular” to apply for the PhD program beginning in autumn 2022.
Application Fee Waivers
All applicants meeting the following criteria and providing appropriate supporting documentation will be considered for a fee waiver:
- Past/current participants with the Peace Corps, Teach for America, U.S. military veterans and personnel, and alumni of a variety of academic preparatory and service programs, as detailed in the application instructions.
- Applicants meeting eligibility requirements may also qualify through Big Ten Academic Alliance. BTAA FreeApp recipients must then follow emailed instructions from UChicagoGrad Admissions.
Applicants for admission can request a fee waiver by completing the fee waiver form found on the instructions page of the application for admission. The waiver form requires a concise and complete reason for the request. Current UChicago students seeking a waiver must provide their current student ID number.
Application Hardship Request Policy
Applicants for whom a recent disaster or other, major widespread disruption (such as COVID-19) has impacted their ability to complete their application should view the University Hardship Request policy and if necessary submit a formal request. Further instructions and a link to the request form can be found on the instructions page of the application for admission.