TeachQuantum is a multi-year program that immerses participants in real-world quantum research environments and prepares them to teach quantum-focused STEM concepts in their classrooms. Participating teachers take part in a 6-week summer research experience, develop new quantum-inspired activities to implement in their classrooms, and participate in quarterly meetings throughout the school year to share their outcomes and best practices.
Interested in finding out more? Sign up for the TeachQuantum information session taking place on March 22 at 6:00 pm
Who can participate?
High school STEM teachers in Chicago Public Schools.
When will the program take place?
Six weeks over the summer of 2022 (late June to early August), plus quarterly meetings during the school year.
What will participants do?
Engage in a mentored research experience in a quantum lab, develop a quantum-focused classroom activity, and share their experiences with other participants during quarterly meetings
Where will the program take place?
The research labs of PME faculty members at the University of Chicago.
Summer 2021 Research Projects
- From Spooky Action at a Distance to Safe Internet - Zhong Group
Adam Davenport, Bowen High School
- Digital PID Control for Quantum Optics Experiments - Bernien Group
Joseph Blake, Kenwood Academy
- Exploring Learning of Quantum Computing Concepts for Pre-College Learners - Franklin Group
Michael Rodgers, King College Prep
- Quantum State Creation and Control in Semiconductors - Heremans Group
Amy Seter, University of Chicago Charter Schools at Woodlawn
Applications for this program are open from February 7 through April 15, 2022. Selected participants will be notified in early May.
TeachQuantum is supported by the NSF Quantum Leap Challenge Institute for Hybrid Quantum Architectures and Networks (HQAN), a partnership between the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison. To learn more about the program, visit our partner website.
If you have questions, please reach our to:
- Dr. Tian Zhong - Assistant Professor of Molecular Engineering, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
- Laura Rico-Beck - Assistant Dean of Education and Outreach, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
- Patrick McQuillan - HQAN Education and Workforce Development Coordinator, Chicago Quantum Exchange
- Mallory Conlon - HQAN Outreach Program Coordinator, University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Physics