The Dean of Students Office within the Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering provides essential support structures to students and advances the school’s academic mission through an inclusive and student-centered approach. Overall, our mission is to support PME education from recruitment to graduation. We do so in collaboration with the faculty, with other PME administrative offices, and with the broader University community.
Services and responsibilities
The Dean of Students Office supports PME education from recruitment to graduation. Our responsibilities and services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Managing graduate student enrollment;
- Administering graduate student funding;
- Serving as the stewards of PME student records;
- Working with students on issues of concern and well-being;
- Managing student disciplinary processes;
- Promoting PME student development beyond coursework and research;
- Organizing and hosting PME special events such as Convocation;
- Seeking generally to foster an inclusive, collaborative, and supportive learning environment.
The PME Dean of Students Office staff are growth-minded in working with students, faculty, and staff and are guided by the following core values.
- Integrity: We regularly evaluate and consider our work to make sure that it reflects the values that we articulate here, that we acknowledge the impact of our actions on others, and that we are accountable to ourselves and our community
- Equity: We maintain fairness and impartiality as the foundation of our interactions, practices, and policies
- Intentionality: Our work is goal-oriented and evidence-based
- Empowerment: We aim to foster the capacity for self-direction in students, faculty, and colleagues
- Collaboration: We believe that the exchange of knowledge, ideas, and resources advances our work and that of the broader PME
- Responsiveness: We strive to always respond in a thoughtful and timely manner with robust answers and/or appropriate referrals (typically within two business days)
Dean of Students Office staff
Dean of Students
David Taylor is generally responsible for student status changes (e.g., leaves of absence and graduation), academic and behavioral disciplinary issues management, and providing/coordinating support for students with disabilities and health difficulties. He also regularly meets with individual students to discuss academic opportunities, lab difficulties, and general well-being.
He is available to meet with students privately to address any concerns, questions, or issues that may arise during their time at UChicago. Students can schedule appointments with Dean Taylor by contacting him at email@example.com.
Assistant Dean of Students
Melinda Wesonga is responsible for the management of PME student financial support and coordination. She organizes degree conferral and convocation ceremonies. Wesonga also offers individual student advising and support.
The PME Dean of Students staff are available in person, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.