The Soft Matter Characterization Facility (SMCF) proudly supports research at the University of Chicago, in the Chicago area, and beyond.
- Mechanically Initiated, Bulk Free Radical Polymerization, Z. Wang, J. Ayarza, A. P. Esser-Kahn, Angew. Chem. (2019).
- Interparticle Interactions in Dilute Solutions of Polyectrolyte Complex Micelles, H. Wu, J. M. Ting, T. M. Weiss, M. V. Tirrell, ACS Macro Lett., 8, 819-825 (2019).
- Structure Control of a PI-Conjugated Oligothiophene-Based Liquid Crystal for Enhanced Mixed Ion/Electron Transport Characteristics, B. X. Dong, Z. Liu, M. Misra, J. Strzalka, J. Niklas, O. G. Poluektov, F. A. Escobedo, C. K. Ober, P. F. Nealey, S. N. Patel, ACS Nano (2019).
- In vitro assessment of stiffness-dependent histotripsy bubble cloud activity in gel phantoms and blood clots, S. Hendley, V. Bollen, G. J. Anthony, J. D. Paul, K. B. Bader, Physics in Medicine and Biology (2019).
- Evaluation of silicone elastomers as structural materials for microstructured adhesives, A. Simaite, M. Spenko. Bioinspir. Biomim., 14, 046005 (2019).
- Mitigation of Hydrophobicity-Induced Immunotoxicity by Sugar Poly(orthoesters), S. Maiti, S. Manna, J. Shen, A. P. Esser-Kahn, W. Du, JACS, 141, 4510-4514 (2019).
- Nanothin Film Conductivity Measurements Reveal Interfacial Influence on Ion Transport in Polymer Electrolytes, B. X. Dong, P. Bennington, Y. Kambe, D. Sharon, M. Dojelsi, V. Burnett, J. Strzalka, P. F. Nealey, S. N. Patel, Mol. Syst. Des. Eng. (2019).
- Effect of processing conditions on the mechanical properties of bio-inspired mechanical gradient nanocomposites, Y. Zhang, A. N. Edelbrock, S. J. Rowan, Eur. Polym. J., 115, 107-114 (2019).
- Influence of Side-Chain Chemistry on Structure and Ionic Conduction Characteristics of Polythiophene Derivatives: A Computational and Experimental Study, B. X. Dong, C. Nowak, J. W. Onorato, J. Strzalka, F. A. Escobedo, C. K. Luscombe, P. F. Nealey, S. N. Patel, Chem. Mater., 4, 1418-1429 (2019).
- Polyelectrolyte Complexation of Oligonucleotides by Charged Hydrophobi-Neutral Hydrophilic Block Copolymer, A. E. Marras, J. R. Vieregg, J. M. Ting, J. D. Rubien, M. V. Tirrell, Polymers, 11, 83 (2019).
- Segmental Diffusion in Attractive Polymer Nanocomposites: A Quasi-Elastic Neutron Scattering Study, E. J. Bailey, P. J. Griffin, M. Tyagi, K. I. Winey, Macromolecules, 52, 669-678 (2019).
- Sequential Infiltration Synthesis of Al2O3 in Polyethersulfone Membranes, R. Z. Waldman, D. Choudhury, D. J. Mandia, J. W. Elam, P. F. Nealey, A. B. F. Martinson, S. B. Darling, JOM, 71, 212-223 (2019).
- Synthesis and Purification of Homogenous Lipid-Based Peptide Nanocarriers by Overcoming Phospholipid Ester Hydrolysis, M. R. Schnorenberg, S. P. Yoo, M. V. Tirrell, J. L. LaBelle, ACS Omega, 3, 14144-14150 (2018).
- Strong, Rebondable, Dynamic Cross-Linked Cellulose Nanocrystal Polymer Nanocomposite Adhesives, E. Cudjoe, K. M. Herbert, S. J. Rowan, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 10, 30723-30731 (2018).
- Immunomodulation of the NLRP3 Inflammasome through Structure-Based Activator Design and Functional Regulation via Lysosomal Rupture, S. Mann, W. J. Howitz, N. J. Oldenhuis, A. C. Eldredge, J. Shen, F. N. Nihesh, M. B. Lodoen, Z. Guan, A. P. Esser-Kahn, ACS. Cent. Sci., 4, 982-995 (2018).
- Synthesis and Assembly of Designer Styrenic Diblock Polyelectrolytes, J. M. Ting, H. Wu, A. Herzog-Arbeitman, S. Srivastava, M. V. Tirrell, ACS Macro Lett., 7, 726-733 (2018).
- Open-to-Air RAFT Polymerization in Complex Solvents: From Whisky to Fermentation Broth, D. K. Schneiderman, J. M. Ting, A. A. Purchel, R. Miranda, M. V. Tirrell, T. M. Reineke, S. J. Rowan, ACS Macro Lett., 7, 406-411 (2018).
- Ultrasound Promoted Step-Growth Polymerization and Polymer Crosslinking Via Copper Catalyzed Azide-Alkyne "Click" Reaction, H. Mohapatra, J. Ayarza, E. C. Sanders, A. M. Scheuermann, P. J. Griffin, A. P. Esser-Kahn, Angew. Chem., 130, 11378-11382 (2018).
- Understanding the influence of silicone elastomer properties on wedge-shaped microstructured dry adhesives loaded in shear, A. Simaite, B. Temple, M. A. Karimi, V. Alizadehyazdi, M. Spenko, J. R. Soc. Interface 15, 20180551 (2018).
- Structure-Property Relationships of Oligonucleotide Polyelectrolyte Complex Micelles, M. Lueckheide, J. R. Vieregg, A. J. Bologna, L. Leon, M. V. Tirrell, Nano Lett., 18, 7111-7117 (2018).
Acknowledgment and co-authorship
If you have conducted research at the SMCF, please acknowledge the facility in publications and conference proceedings using the following statement: “Parts of this work were carried out at the Soft Matter Characterization Facility of the University of Chicago.”
Please acknowledge SMCF staff members if they had a substantial level of involvement in your project. Co-authorship of a paper may be warranted if a staff member makes a significant intellectual contribution to the final research outcome.
Send titles/abstracts/table of contents/figures of all journal publications and conference proceedings that acknowledge the SMCF to the technical manager, who will publish them on this page.