Creating materials that are sustainable, environmentally friendly, or specifically designed to meet a therapeutic need can have a significant positive impact on the world.
To predict and control material behaviors at the macroscale requires a comprehensive and quantitative understanding of interactions between and within molecules. In the Materials for Sustainability and Health track, you will develop conceptions of the structure, physics, and macroscale properties of polymers and soft materials, understand how these properties emerge from molecular-level interactions, and how this understanding can be applied to design materials for particular applications. The fundamental courses are shared among the cohort, with specialized electives available. In the soft matter characterization lab, you’ll develop the hands-on skills you’ll need to study the structure, properties, and dynamics of soft materials.
This track suits candidates interested in: soft materials, polymers, packaging and coatings, consumer products, biomedicine, pharmaceuticals, and energy.
- Innovation Leadership Bootcamp: Communication and Negotiation with Individuals, Teams, and Organizations
- (Innovation Leadership) MENG 30000: Introduction to Emerging Technologies
- (Track Core) MENG 31100: Math Methods for Molecular Engineering
- (Track Core) MENG 35100: Introduction to Polymer Science
- (Innovation Leadership) Responsible and Effective Technology Management
- (Track Core) MENG 35130: Soft Matter Characterization Laboratory
- 1 Track Elective
- (Innovation Leadership) MENG 20400: Commercializing Products with Molecular Engineering
- 2 Track Electives
- MEng Capstone Project (Can be taken no more than twice for credit)
- Nanomedicine (MENG 33150) - W
- Synthetic Biology (MENG 33500) - W
- Polymer Synthesis (MENG 35110) - W
- Materials and Characterization Tools to Address Challenges in Energy and Water (MENG 35330) - S
- Classical Molecular and Materials Modeling (MENG 35500) - W
- Biodiagnostics and Biosensors (MENG 33140) - S
- Polymer Physics (MENG 35120) - S
- The Structural Basis of Biomolecular Engineering (MENG 33120) - S
- Functional Polymers for Electronics, Photonics, and Energy Technology (MENG 35143) - S
- Energy Storage and Conversion Devices (MENG 35310) - W
- Electrochemical Principles and Methods (MENG 35320) - S