The lymph node stroma was for long known to play a supportive and structural role in the immune system. However, it has become clear over the last few years that lymph node stromal cells are also able to play an active role in the regulation of the immune response, partly by directly interacting with T lymphocytes. We seek to understand by which mechanisms lymphatic endothelial cells are able to sample antigens and present them to T cells, and how these mechanisms are influenced by the lymph node microenvironment. We use both in vivo and in vitro approaches to understand what parameters affect the sampling and presentation of antigens by lymphatic endothelial cells. A better understanding of the immunomodulatory functions of lymphatic endothelial cells could lead to the identification of novel therapeutic targets and the refinement of cancer immunotherapies.
- “Tumor lymphangiogenesis promotes T cell infiltration and potentiates immunotherapy in melanoma,” Fankhauser M*, Broggi MAS*, Potin L, Bordry N, Jeanbart L, Lund QW, Da Costa E, Hauert S, Rincon-Restrepo M, Tremblay C, Cabello E, Homicsko K, Michielin O, Hanahan D, Speiser DE and Swartz MA. Science Translational Medicine, 2017
- “Lymphatic vessels regulate immune microenvironments in human and murine melanoma”, Lund AW, Wagner M, Fankhauser M, Steinskog ES, Broggi MA, Spranger S, Gajewski TF, Alitalo K, Eikesdal HP, Wiig H, Swartz MA. The Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2016.
- “Lymph node stromal cells acquire peptide-MHCII complexes from dendritic cells and induce antigen-specific CD4+ T cell tolerance”, J. Dubrot, F. V. Duraes, L. Potin, F. Capotosti, D. Brighouse, T. Suter, S. LeibundGut-Landmann, N. Garbi, W. Reith, M. A. Swartz, S. Hugues. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, 2014.
- “Steady-State Antigen Scavenging, Cross-Presentation, and CD8+ T cell Priming: A New Role for Lymphatic Endothelial Cells”, S. Hirosue, E. Vokali, V. R. Raghavan, M. Rincon-Restrepo, A. W. Lund, P. Corthésy-Henrioud, F. Capotosti, C. Halin Winter, S. Hugues, M. A. Swartz. The Journal of Immunology, 2014.
- “VEGF-C Promotes Immune Tolerance in B16 Melanomas and Cross-Presentation of Tumor Antigen by Lymph Node Lymphatics”, A. W. Lund, F. V. Duraes, S. Hirosue, V. R. Raghavan, C. Nembrini, S. N. Thomas, A. Issa, S. Hugues, M. A. Swartz. Cell Reports, 2012.
- “Induction of lymphoidlike stroma and immune escape by tumors that express the chemokine CCL21”, Shields JD, Kourtis IC, Tomei AA, Roberts JM, Swartz MA. Science, 2010
- “Exploiting lymphatic vessels for immunomodulation: Rationale, opportunities, and challenges,” Maisel K, Sasso MS, Potin L, Swartz MA. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2017
- “Emerging Roles of Lymphatic Endothelium in Regulating Adaptive Immunity”, C. M. Card, S. S. Yu, M. A. Swartz. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2014.