The Esser-Kahn laboratory is a recently renovated (2018) laboratory space in Kovler Hall at University of Chicago. The lab has 10 chemical fume hoods, 9 10’x3’ benches, a molecular biology suite, and three Biosafety Level 2 suites. The following equipment is located in the laboratory space:
Chemical Synthesis and Characterization Instrumentation
- Agilent Analytical HPLC – A complete HPLC with fraction collection capabilities and more than 10 columns for reverse-phase and aqueous size exclusion chromatography on an analytical scale.
- Gilson Preparative HPLC - A complete HPLC with fraction collection capabilities and three columns for reverse-phase and aqueous size exclusion chromatography on a preparative scale.
- Agilent LC-ESI-MS – An HPLC solvent system with more than 10 columns coupled to an ESI-MS detector for characterization of small molecule and biomacromolecular analytes.
- Äkta FPLC – A FPLC system for characterization and purification of biomacromolecular analytes.
- ISCO Flash Chromatography System – Automated column chromatography instrument with ability to run four solvents for purification of small molecules using normal- and reversed-phase techniques.
- GE ATR FT-IR system – An in-situ system for fast analysis of chemical transformation and reactivity.
- Automated Peptide Synthesizer – An automated Fmoc-based microwave peptide synthesizer for synthesis of novel epitopes and native chemical ligation for synthesis of biomacromolecules.
- Automated DNA Synthesizer – An automated DNA synthesizer to prepare large quantities of oligos
- Rotovaps/Centrifuges (micro and floor)/SpeedVac – Instrumentation for the purification of synthetic molecules
- Gel Electrophresis Station – Instrumentation for purification and analysis of biomacromolecules.
- Lyophilizer – Used to dry small molecule and biomacromolecular samples for analysis and dilution.
- Gas Chromatograph
Biological Analysis Instrumentation
- Zeiss Axiovert Microscope – A fully capable fluorescent microscope with an automated XYZ stage and live imaging capabilities.
- ACEA Flow Cytometer – Two-color flow cytometer for analysis of ICS and cell-surface maker data.
- Nano-Drop 2000c – Instrument for rapid UV-VIS analysis of protein and oligonucleotide samples
- 3x 6’ Cell Culture Hoods – Used for cell culture and preparation of sterile samples
- 3x Nuaire Cell Culture Incubators – Incubators for storage of in-vitro cultures, one of which is equipped with an orbital shaker for culture of suspension and expression of recombinant proteins.
- Plate Reader – Spectrophotometer to analyze absorbent, fluorescent, and luminescent analytes.
- BioRad PCR Instrument – Standard PCR instrument for expansion of DNA.
- Azure 600 Gel Imaging System
- CytoSurge FluidFM
Other Sample Prep, Tools, Storage:
- Spin Coater
- Shakers, including electrodynamic shaking platform
- Ball mill
- 2x -80 degrees C freezers
- Cryotank for cell storage
- Vacuum oven
- NanoPure water filtration system
- FLIR infrared camera
- Solvent stills for DMF, THF, and DCM
- RoboSep automated cell sorter