We consider all applicants for the full-time PhD program who meet the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree (usually with a major in a STEM field)
- Fulfill the English-language requirements of the University of Chicago (required for non-native English speakers only)
- Note: Pritzker Molecular Engineering will not be accepting GRE scores in any form for admission during the 2021-2022 academic year application cycle
To apply, submit an application online. You must include:
- A personal statement of research interests
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcript(s) from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- TOEFL test results that meet the requirements of the University of Chicago (required for non-native English speakers only)
- A $90 nonrefundable application fee
We consider requests for application fee waivers on an individual basis.
Use the University of Chicago's institution code (1832) to send TOEFL scores. A separate department code is not required.
Explore UChicagoGRAD for more information about the application process, including answers to frequently asked questions and details about campus life.
We begin accepting applications in September for enrollment in the PhD program that starts the following fall. The application deadline is typically in mid-December.
When you start your online application, choose the regular application for the year you plan to enroll. For example, select “2021 Regular” to apply for the PhD program beginning in fall 2021.